FdA/BA (Hons) THEATRE PRODUCTION ARTS - LIGHTING
Validated by University of East Anglia
2 or 3 years full-time
Mountview has been training lighting designers and technicians for over 40 years.
Our vocational, hands-on course has seen graduates go on to be Chief Electrician at the Royal Shakespeare Company, freelance production electricians, and notable lighting designers.
We offer two training levels: a two-year Foundation Degree (FdA) which provides a fast-track training and a three-year BA (Hons) bringing greater experience and the possibility of design roles. For students with previous experience who are looking to formalise their skills and develop industry contacts we also offer a one-year Diploma in Theatre Production Arts specialising in lighting.
Our practical training runs over 30 hours per week, 36 weeks per year. It begins with workshops covering core skills in all areas of Production Arts in small cohorts with training from experienced industry professionals. You then move quickly on to practical show roles in lighting. Mountview produces around 26 plays and musicals each year giving you a vast array of learning experiences.
Strong emphasis is placed on learning through practice. There is continuous assessment across all the compulsory modules. Assessment is based on coursework covering the skills elements of the course and marking of practical show roles. Students gain first-hand experience of working alongside professional lighting designers, technicians and programmers.
Lighting training covers:
- Hands on training with contemporary lighting equipment, both generic and moving lights
- Lighting systems and supporting paperwork
- Understanding and designing of temporary power systems
- Rigging and focusing to industry standard
- Construction of electrical practicals
- Programming and operating state-of-the-art lighting consoles
- Computerised drafting and visualisation across a range of industry software
- Networking, soldering and other skills needed by the modern production professional
- Lighting design for plays and musicals of all sizes (BA only)
Training and productions produced with generous support from industry leading lighting specialists – White Light Ltd.
Watch Mountview’s online Theatre Production Arts Q&A with Head of Stage Management Helen Barratt here.