Bernard Myers House

Bernard Myers House is a Hall of Residence managed by Unite Housing just 15 minutes’ walk away with 122 self-catering ensuite rooms available at £186 per week, including wifi, heating and electricity. Facilities include laundry, bike racks and a 24 hour warden. If you are interested in one of these, please contact the Registry team about availability and full terms.

Private Landlords

For people looking for shared houses or rooms in houses we have also arranged access to the University of London’s Accommodation Service. This has a database of houses and rooms all over London at a range of prices. They can also provide advice on contracts and legal support if you have problems with a landlord.

NB: to register for this service, you must use your Mountview email address. You can also call the University of London’s Accommodation team on 020 7862 8880 or email

Alternative areas to Peckham

Peckham is incredibly well connected by public transport and there are many other areas within a 15-minute bus ride that offer more affordable housing options including Catford, Deptford, New Cross, Lewisham, Surrey Quays, South Bermondsey and Old Kent Road. You could also look at Walworth which is a 30-minute walk across Burgess Park.

Council Tax

Students enrolled on a full-time course at Mountview are exempt from paying council tax. Council tax is a yearly charge by the local council to pay for things such as policing, transport and schools. In houses where all of the occupants are full-time students there is a full exemption from paying council tax. If there is a non-student living in a house alongside full-time students then the house will receive a council tax bill but there is a discount of 25% – how you decide to pay for this is something that should be discussed and agreed to by you and your housemates prior to moving in.

The way to apply for an exemption is different from council to council. It is important that students and their housemates take the time to apply for exemption, rather than waiting for a bill to arrive before informing the council of their student status. The council will need proof of full-time student status and Mountview provides students with student certificates at enrolment which are suitable for this.

For students living in Southwark, use this exemption form.